Friday, July 1, 2011

I almost forgot to post tonight!

...because technically I came downstairs to go to bed somewhere around 7:30. I got sleep last night! Good sleep, and lots of it.

But you know what they say about sleep. The more you get, the more you want.

So after an incredibly nice day, around 7 all I could think about was going to bed.

I did my usual today, including a long, extended lunch break during which I watched Uptown Girls, one of the cutest movies in the entire world. Also, that's kind of the nanny job I'm looking for at some point in my life.

Tomorrow marks one month that I have been here and so here are a few highlights for you all and a few things about myself that have really been brought to my attention since the start of this job.

~All three kids have started giving me random kisses throughout the day. I honestly never thought these kids would grow on me, but they really have. The beginning of this job was rocky, but I must say, I love these little brats.

~There are a few really good-looking lifeguards at the pool. Before the summer ends, I intend to get free dinner out of one of them.

~I really like running an entire household. I love being the one who decides where everything goes and what gets done and when. I absolutely LOVE my kitchen, in spite of the ants (whose numbers are dwindling!!!!) and mostly, I love feeling so at home here. And I do.

~One of the high points of my days is when I wrap up the vacuum cleaner cord and I know exactly how many loops it's going to make and can pinpoint the spot where it will clip on. Something about the consistency just pleases me to no end.

~I really, really hate wire hangers (much like Mommy Dearest) and the closests here are absolutely brimming with them. Today I came across pink ones. I didn't even know that much thought went into the junky things.

~I encountered another snobby nanny in the neighborhood and must now befriend her. She was at the park with her little ones and we kept eyeing each other from across the playground equipment. I can't wait until we have playdates!

~I love watering the garden.

~The baby will sing on demand. When I arrived a month ago he would neither talk or sing. Today he echoed me in "The Wheels on the Bus" and "The Frog Song." He also repeats everything I say and in one week has developed an attention span for sitting and reading books. He'll be writing in no time.

~I am running this house as efficiently as I've ever done any job and like always, in spite of all the cleaning and organization I can do for everyone else, my room looks like three tornadoes hit it right after a clothing store exploded. The only difference is that this room is now inside a three foot perimeter of all-natural and insanely odorless yet powerful bug spray.

I have thoughts throughout the day of things I definitely want to remember to share here, and then when I get here, I have no thoughts at all. But I do want to say that life as New York nanny is going well. In some ways it's exactly as I expected and in others it's new and surprising, but overall, I like it.

I've been reading some blogs from other nannies and from other families that have hired nannies, and after browsing several horror stories, I am pleased to know that I am not one of them.

Tonight, after swimming with the boys and feeding the baby, as the family prepared for Shabbat dinner I asked T if she would be offended if I skipped dinner. She sweetly told me no, to go rest and they would save me food.

When I had napped for ten minutes and played on the internet for fifty, I went upstairs to help with clean up and visit with T's parents a bit. While we worked in the kitchen together T made sure I was just tired and that nothing was wrong. She's very open and considerate; I think that's what confuses me about her. It just doesn't make sense that a person in this neck of the woods is really as genuine as she is.

I assured her that my only problem was that her boys had completely worn me out and I needed 8-12 hours to recover.

They start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment