Monday, July 18, 2011

The Fresh Beat Band is growing on me.

In my extensive child care past I have encountered many children's shows. Some I hate, some I loves, some I make the kids watch even though they hate them because it's fun for me (Penguins of Madagascar...) and some are just filler.

These kids don't watch a lot of TV, even though it feels like the TV in the playroom is on ALL the time. Baby I has mastered turning it on but not off. He's also really good at changing the channel so instead of Fios, we're watching snow. Loud, loud snow.

R is notorious for looking at the TV and no matter what's on going, "I haaaaaaaaate that show."

J will watch for about five seconds before he's off doing something. He likes music though, and will stop whenever a song comes on. The only thing I've seen him watch with any sort of undivided attention is the Fresh Beat Band.

They've never hit my radar because I've never had a kid like them before.

I forbid the Wiggles to be watched in my presence. Other's on my ban list are Sid the Stupid Science Kid, Diego and Barney. I have my reasons, and I assure you they're mostly selfish.

I think the Backyardigans are soooooooo cute and I've recently paid attention to an episode of Mrs. Spider's something or other and that was pretty cute too, and actually had a pretty deep story line for kids programming nowadays. That made me happy.

Tonight E and T are out and so I gave the kids their bath before dinner so that we could relax and while I was dressing J he started singing "Skinamarinky dinky dink" which made me glow with joy.

Sharon, Lois and Bram were my FAVE when I was a kid. I don't know where he picked this song up but I love hearing him sing it.

---WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT---

J JUST TOLD ME HE HAD TO GO PEE AND ACTUALLY HELD IT WHILE WE RAN UP THE STAIRS TO THE POTTY AND DID PEEPEE ON THE POTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---Now back to our scheduled blogging---

Baby I seems to be some sort of strange prodigy child. I call him Monkey and he answers to it more than his actual name. He climbs everything and he's gets onto furniture faster than J does. He can walk up the stairs without ever resting both feet on one step like most kids his age. Holding someone's hand of course. He's not THAT advanced...

Today at the pool he observed a bunch of teenage boys who were having a really hard time watching their language in front of the baby and me, though they really did try and without me ever asking. He started pointing at them and the ball in turn and asking "Was dat?"

Psssshhh. Like I know.

But it was fun to hear him forming a question! It's like he's known how to talk all along and was just saving it up to put on a show.

Lately, any song I sing he picks up the tune right away and even the sounds of some of the lyrics. Any new song he's introduced to he sings back to you later with a sly little smile. And they're always recognizable.

T says musical talent runs in the family; her sister is an accomplished pianist.

At bed time, R was unbelievably agreeable. The baby on the other hand, was not. He usually is so easy to put down but whatever was bothering him tonight, be it his cursed teeth or the fact that the AC doesn't work on the second floor and it's a million degrees upstairs, was upsetting him greatly. For an hour he cried, "I don't want to!" until he FINALLY fell asleep on my lap.

That's another new phrase.

His greatest achievements this week have been "I don't want to", "mine", and my personal favorite, "I want it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment