Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's play catch up.

This is dedicated to Marisa, who I think might be my number one fan. This means I expect the rest of you to step it up a notch.

JUST KIDDING.

I appreciate how much positive feedback I am getting from all of you. I am so blessed to have such faithful friends and readers.

So, late Saturday my computer starting being WEIRD.

On Sunday morning I thought it was all better. I even posted a Facebook status about it.

Five minutes later I deleted that post because the whole computer started to rebel. Shortly after is ceased working entirely.

On Sunday I was stuck home all day. The family had two birthday parties to go to and that left me with Baby I until late afternoon. We, you guessed it, went to the pool.

On Sunday night I spent over an hour pleading with my computer to turn on. It never did.

Later Sunday night, I encountered a silverfish.

Since my patience had worn thin by then, I declared war on Monday morning.

I vacuumed and sprayed and sprayed and vacuumed. I killed three LARGE spiders and two LARGE silverfish, as well as countless small things. Since the weather was cooler I turned off the air conditioner and opened some windows to air the house out even though the label of the spray I was using clearly said "Safe Indoors and Outdoors! 100% All-Natural Organic Ingredients!"

After my killing spree -- cleaning! Cleaning, I mean cleaning spree, I took the vacuum out to the driveway to empty it. One LARGE spider and one LARGE silverfish ran out of it still alive. I beat them to death with a baseball bat.

Whatever disturbance I created with my spray, caused every living critter left in the basement to come out from hiding and stare at me on Tuesday night. I killed so many more things. They were relentless.

At three a.m. I caved and went upstairs. The smell of "all-natural, organic flower oils" was causing me to hallucinate. I really believed the bug kingdom was angry at me. So I left.

On Tuesday the odor lingered.

I've taken to throwing my clothes and blankets into the dryer with five to eight strongly scented dryer sheets before using them.

Tuesday afternoon R was asleep when she was brought home from camp. She napped on the playroom bed and then peed on it, which resulted in two hours of crying from her. She went upstairs with T to shower and returned to me in a robe, clinging to me and saying, "My mom keeps screaming at me."

T did not scream at all. She didn't even scold. 'Twas funny.

But the whole ordeal kind of did away with any plans I had to sleep in the playroom again that night. I was forced to return to my bedroom.

It all went well until around five a.m. when I got a little chilly and pulled my big comforter over me. The pungent, safe and natural flower oils stung my nostrils. I should have just stuck with my RAID Home & Garden; at least it smells good.

I opted to stay cold.

I slept until ten this morning!

I had errands to run this morning, most importantly, getting my poor, disabled computer to the doctor. I called goodbye to T, who is hanging out with the baby today, and headed down into town.

I thought about catching the bus but since I don't really know where it picks up in this direction I just wandered around in the general vicinity of a bus stop for a bit and then walked.

The diagnosis for Poor Baby Computer is not good.

I went to the library to book plane tickets for August. Snobby Nanny is going south!

And then I went to cash my last hotel check.

This morning as I rushed to leave my Scented Den of Death, I thought, I should bring my camera. It's a nice day, perfect for pictures, and then I can share my little corner of Great Neck with everyone, assuming I have a computer again some time in the near future. Directly after that thought, I had this one: I should also take my last hotel check and cash it.

Which sent me on a search for a second form of ID.

I looked inside my computer bag, where I usually keep it and didn't see it anywhere. I packed up my computer for its ride to town and then searched my file drawer. No social security card. I checked all my other drawers. Nothing.

I searched through my underwear, my dresses, my bags. I did all this twice. Nothing.

After 45 minutes I sat down on my odorized bed in despair. I was no longer concerned about my check (or taking along my camera), I was however, very concerned about the fact that I keep my social security card, my passport, my birth certificate and my voter's registration card (all very important documents) together and now I could not find any of them. I had no idea where else they might be.

I decided to just get it together and get out of there before the natural oils made me naturally vomit, so I shifted some things around in my computer bag.

And found my social security card and all its companions.

Exactly where I thought they should be in the first place.

Cut back to cashing the check. I'm standing there making small talk with the clerk. I'm signing my check, I'm taking out my social security card. My actual ID is in my other wallet at home.

So, I am waiting and waiting at the library while the computer guy rescues all my files from obliteration. I was walking around outside but the calming breeze keeps picking up the scent of organic bug-killing flower oils that has permeated everything I own and blowing it back into my face.

I'll wait here until it's time to pick up my defenseless little computer and beat it to death with a baseball bat.

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo glad I found your blog. You totally crack me up.....

    ReplyDelete