Friday, July 8, 2011

Delays.

Being a snobby nanny is all about waiting for rich people to feel like doing things.

I messed up my own travel plans several ways. Most especially when I told E and T that I didn't need to leave until noon today. False.

I needed to leave around 7am to catch the actual bus that I wanted to catch.

Since that wasn't going to happen after my blunder, I settled for next best. A bus leaving NY at 1:15pm. This meant that I needed to leave the house in time to catch the 11:20 train.

E's sister had agreed to pick up little Willie at ten this morning.

I could hardly sleep last night in my nervousness about today.

I finally drifted off somewhere around 3 am and I was up at 8 to put the garbage out, pack Willie's overnight bag and make sure everything in the house was off.

At ten on the nose I started watching the door.

The landscapers showed up. I had watered the garden that morning and the automatic sprinklers in the yard had just barely finished their job, but the landscapers were not to be thrown off schedule. They unloaded lawn mowers and hedge clippers and went to work.

Still no sister.

At ten after I called E's mother, since I was not given the sister's number.

She was very friendly when she reminded me to turn off everything in the house and lock the doors. She also suggested that I empty the fridge of anything that can go bad and advised that I not leave any food out.

Brilliant.

I asked where the sister was and she said, "Oh, Yeah. What time do you need to her to come?"

Hadn't this all been settled the night before?

"TEN!" I said.

Ok, no I didn't.

With my biggest phone smile I told her that my train was leaving soon (there is a 10:20 I wanted to catch -- I'm telling you I was nervous!) and that I thought she would have been there already.

She said she'd send her and then asked me Willie's schedule.

Oi.

I explained that he likes to watch Good Morning America before he breakfasts and that he's used to having his bath in the evenings while the sun is still warm. HE'S A DOG! He pees in the yard and he eats from a bowl. What schedule?!

I answered politely because I knew that being annoyed wouldn't get me anywhere.

Ten minutes later her daughter showed up for Willie.

She reminded me to turn everything off and set the alarm. She suggested that I should have cleaned out the fridge. She asked me what Willie's schedule was. She even wrote it down when I told her he just needs to be let out three or four times a day.

Her redeeming factor was her consideration of me when she offered to drive me to the train so I wouldn't have to call a cab.

She was actually very nice.

I waited for my train and then ran all over the city looking for my bus. It was late departing from the station, and to my surprise all the connecting buses were asked to wait for us.

I reached my connection with no problems and then my bus waited for another late incoming bus. I was traveling with Peter Pan/Trailways for anyone wondering. We made good time in spite of all our late departures. And isn't it nice to know that when they are late they won't just leave you stranded wherever they ditch you?

I thought so too.

The only problem I have with this bus is that there are no outlets (there were on the first one) and my battery is low, so I suppose I'm done for today.

And tonight,

TRANSFORMERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment