Thursday, June 30, 2011

Keep it moving.

Last night was brutal.

There was about three hours of actual sleep. There was more than four hours of glaring at the stupid clock.

Today I had to stay on my feet at all times or all would be lost. And by all, I mean seven perfectly good hours of daylight.

When I am this tired, naps tend to steal my day.

I did everything this morning. I mean, everything. Floors, laundry, cooking, sorting, organizing...

T came home after a few hours of work and we talked while Baby I ran around giggling. My morning had been filled with visits from her in-laws, who I'm beginning to refer to in my head as my in-laws.

We talked about things we needed around the house and things to be done and somewhere in the conversation we eased up on the work stuff and just chatted. I did learn that she is very happy with the way things are going. She told me she thinks I'd make a good teacher in fifteen years when she would be ready for me to leave her. She made my day.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I won't be here for fifteen years...but it was nice to hear anyway.

By mid-afternoon I was losing the battle with my eyelids. They just kept closing.

T made dinner and I tried to converse with R, but I have no idea what she was saying. I half-heartedly tried to feed the baby and then I just gave up.

I watered the garden to kill some time and while I was out there I was thinking that four years ago when I was this tired it was for a completely different reason. I sometimes can't believe that I made it out of my "college" years alive.

What's more, I can't believe it's been this many years!

It feels like just yesterday I was gallavanting around Atown with my little clique, not at all concerned about how many hours of sleep I got or what I would feel like in the morning.

And here I am, practically an adult, counting precious minutes of sleep every night.

And I have been counting down the hours until bedtime tonight. I was washing dinner dishes as they were being used, determined to crash the second the kids fell asleep.

So OF COURSE the baby wouldn't stop crying and OF COURSE E and T had to go out tonight. OF COURSE.

The trick is to not sit down until you don't have to get back up again. So I held the baby and paced his room until he finally passed out.

And then I ran.

And now I'm sitting. And I guarantee you, in less than an hour, I will be snoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment