Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Snobby Wednesday: The First.

Today marked my first weekly Snobby Wednesday.

And who better to guide me than a real live New Yorker? Kat from Queens was my after-collegge roommate and long time friend. She's a marine stationed in South Carolina, but she just so happens to be home on leave right now.

We started out early so we could make the most of our time. I told T I'd help her put the kids to bed tonight because it turns out Baby I's bathroom mishaps aren't teething related, and now two kids have burning hineys.

Kat picked me up around 8 this morning and we dropped her car off and began our adventure by grabbing a quick breakfast and then catching a bus to Penn Station.

We visited Ground Zero and a few of the surrounding memorials. The construction for the new Trade Center memorial was in action and several tourists were around, getting in our way by looking at things we wanted to look at and always standing so that their rear ends were in my shot. We wandered a bit in our hunt for the FDNY department closest to the Trade Center but we found it and battled some more visitors for the best viewing position.

From there we walked down Wall Street to do some stock exchanging or whatever it is you do with stocks and began hunting for the NYPD Museum.

Sadly, a kindly gentleman saw us studying our little map and we had to accept some help in finding it. I think that hurt Kat's New York pride a little bit, but we did find the museum. We visited the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial on the way and passed the large, glorious revolving doors of a Hilton hotel.

There were flower vases actually built into the revolving doors! Now that's snobby.

I decided then that I would like to reenact that scene from Elf and run through a revolving door a few times before we left the city.

We walked right past the NYPD Museum once before we realized it but then we paid our $8 to look at old guns and motorcycles. I'd say it was $8 well spent.

For lunch we took a train to another part of the city, don't ask me which part, I was just blindly following Kat and her map. We went to a Malaysian restaurant that was FANTASTIC and I rekindled my love for a good glass of sangria.

I also burnt my tongue several times.

We killed some time by taking an express train WAY past our next stop, the Museum of Natural History, otherwise known as the Evolution Defense Center. In spite of their terrible inaccuracies, they have some wonderful displays that I have yet to see all of. Once we caught a train back to the museum, we had time to see exactly one exhibit and one bathroom. Neither of us has ever seen the entire museum, though we've both been to it previously. I don't even know how one could accomplish that feat, but someday I intend to.

As it was, we were tired and our fun time was drawing to an end. We needed to be on a train home soon. I did find a revolving door and I made one complete revolution but it was too heavy to keep going. I don't know how Buddy the Elf made it look so easy!

I'll have to experiment with some more revolving doors on my next Snobby Wednesday.

Right on schedule, we caught all our trains and buses home and ended the day with large frozen coffees.

It wasn't until I got inside my house that I felt the dirt and grime of riding public transportation all day. I had to power wash it off with my super-water-blasting showerhead, the one that sprays water all over the bathroom when you open the shower door to get in.

But I feel better now, and I'm ready to post pictures all over Facebook.

Consider this fair warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment