Monday, June 20, 2011

Black and white and red all over.

The kids don't start day camp until next week, so this morning I was incredibly slow about getting out of bed and even slower about making breakfast. But not as slow as the family. I had napped for 40 minutes in the playroom before they made it down the stairs.

We all took our sweet time doing anything and everything this morning and then while the baby slept, T left with the two older kids for the pool, our new living room. Instead of going to sit on the couch, we go to sit on the poolside chair.

It's awesome.

While I had the house to myself I cleaned everything I could manage. The floors have gone black again. The mortar between the tiles is black and they are thick lines. Turns out, after four days of not being mopped, the entire floor becomes coated in black, chalky dirt. These floors are my nemesis but today, I beat them.

Then the baby woke up. I stuffed his lunch down his throat and we left for the pool.

What? He liked it.

A gentlemen in a polo shirt asked if he could help me as I entered the pool area and T had to vouch for me. I am the whitest person to frequent this pool, besides the lifeguards. But I'm with a family.

I have never felt so snobby.

All the showy neighbors were out again with their showy beachwear. We all sat around looking snooty while the children played and swam. We made the ice cream truck driver wait until we were good and ready and we cast dirty looks at all the teenagers dropping F bombs in the deep end.

After a while of baking in the high class sun, I finally got hot enough to be normal and go play in the pool with the kids. I jumped in and swam around with R, who has become quite attached to me and now shouts, "Kim I love you!" at random times throughout the day. J accepted a piggyback ride around the shallow end and I taught Baby I to say "bouncy" as we bounced in the water.

T ran home for snacks at one point and then while she circled up on a towel with the kiddies I went back to being classy on my chair. I put on my fancy sunglasses and texted while making faces to convey how bored and better than everyone I was.

Around five we realized it was five and we should probably think about dinner. Since my face had turned red an hour before, I thought I should probably get going anyway. The baby was crying about something neither of us could figure out and J had begun throwing a tantrum in a beach chair. As I packed the baby up to go, T tried to calm J and then, of course, R had to go potty right now.

T ran with her and I pretended not to hear my crying boys until finally J fell asleep all over himself. I dumped him into the other side of the double stroller, waited for T and headed home.

My plan was to change them both, start dinner, feed the baby and then attempt to feed J if T wasn't home. Hopefully she would be. We walked the few blocks home, unlocked the door and set off the alarm.

Uh oh.

Now, I do not like being arrested. It only ever happened once, and it was kind of a joke since the cop was a friend and I was with a bunch of other friends and, well, we weren't really being arrested.

I called T, jumping up and down in the driveway in panic, which is probably why I lost my cell phone signal. She didn't answer anyway.

I called E and he answered, but I was still jumping and the call was dropped again.

I prayed HARD and then took a deep breath, found a service spot and HELD STILL. E answered again and I told him my dilemma. While I was on the phone with him the alarm company was trying to reach him to tell him his house was being robbed. He gave me the code and I shut the stupid thing off.

And that is the second time I set off a house alarm.

The other time was at the Ledner house (holla!) and I thought I knew the code. But I didn't. I think I was dog sitting and I know it was winter time because I distinctly remember running back and forth from their screaming house to mine trying to locate a family member who knew the actual code and what I should do.

It all turned out ok.

And today it did too.

I was sweating, but I wasn't going to jail. I carried on with my plan and then T came later with R and everything returned to normal. Thanks goodness.

J never woke up for dinner, which means he should be up sometime around 4 am, but ...

I'm off then, so who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment