Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tourist in Action.

Today is my day off.

Unfortunately for me, R doesn't understand the complicated workings of in-home employment. She came and got in bed with me around 9. The kids are off from school today. But I forgave her because she is getting easier to be around and because I wanted to get up anyway.

I had big plans.

I got directions from T and walked the 2 miles to the bus/train station without getting lost AT ALL. On the way I introduced myself to New York by stopping at a Rite Aid and purring at the beer aisle. I bought three pairs of dollar socks and a water and finished my walk to the station.

I got maps and schedules like a good out-of-towner. I let some boys sitting on the curb make a few cat-calls before shooting them a dirty look and haughtily walking away. I had one of the worst chicken salad sandwiches of my life at Dunkin Donuts. I think it had Miracle Whip in it, and that's not even food.

I walked around a HUGE block, about a mile. I made phone calls (reception!!)and texted everyone who has been texting me and getting few or no replies.

I found a coffee house and got a snobby latte and read my book and texted some more.

I was happy about the coffee house, because it had free wireless and I immediately planned to come back with my computer on future days off and get some serious photo work done. And in the midst of that happiness I looked up and saw across the street one of the best buildings a body can lay eyes on.

The Great Neck Library.

It's not very big, but when has that ever mattered?

If I can surround myself with books and fellow bookies and nerds and friendly, reading old people and unfriendly librarians, then I am happier than an ant in the playroom.

I was there for a good hour, reading titles, reading my book, texting some more.

I had an early supper at Chipotle, one of my favorite places ever. Their guacamole is laced with mouth-watering deliciousness.

After I ate I went to the neighboring Walbaum's (and I'm playing fast and loose with the spelling here, that could very well be wrong) and tried to get in. Twice I walked through the exit and turned around. Twice. I went in once, the inner door didn't open because it clearly said "NO ENTRY, EXIT ONLY." And then I went outside stood there for a second, about-faced and did it again.

I'm not from around here.

I could not spot an entrance.

I watched a woman on the phone (who, judging by her accent, IS from around here) stand in between the doors and wait for someone to come out and then sneak in that way.

I thought about following her but then I felt creepy. Plus, I'm trying to prove that I know what I'm doing here. Any idiot can find an entrance to a grocery store, right?

Well.

I walked back down the sidewalk the way I had come and then back again.

I gave the exit a dirty look for not being an entrance and then I accidentally made eye contact with a girl in the library window. She was watching the dumb tourist fighting with the exit door.

Determined to save face, I only slowed for a second and then kept walking past it and sure enough, a few feet further down, disguised with racks and rows of hanging flowers, was the store's actual entrance.

Victory.

Five minutes later, when the sticker shock that comes with grocery shopping in New York had subsided, I got some produce and hot sauce, two of the most important things in the world, and got the heck out of there.

My walk home was lovely.

I thoroughly enjoy singing aloud to my iPod while walking down the sidewalk while everyone gives me funny looks. I'm going to do well here.

I smiled at a few unsuspecting New Yorkers and ONE of them smiled back. ONE. And she was older.

What is the world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment