Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Snobby Wednesday the Second: My big, black brother.

He's actually brown.

But that's what I called him growing up.

I slept in today until a delightful nine o'clock. I had no idea what to wear because I honestly don't know which pile of my clothes is clean and which is dirty. I'm all mixed up. I usually have a spot on the floor dedicated to each but since I am in the basement and there are critters down there, I try not to keep anything on the floor.

Which means my piles are constantly moving and I don't know what they are anymore.

In any case, I found something I am pretty sure was clean because the white pants were still white, and I got ready.

Humphrey and Noelia picked me up and we were off.

This is a brother I don't get to see much but I guess now that will be all of them. I've lived with the other three all in the last few years but now they're all married off.

Hanging out with Humphrey's family today was the first time that I felt like I can be at home here in New York.

I will never call it home, but I now I know I can make myself at home.

I hope that makes sense.

We drove to his area and he narrated a little bit of what we were passing. Humphrey has no trouble talking, which means the chatter gene comes from that side of the family, because we all know I'm not short-winded.

We had lunch at a Spanish restaurant and the only time we were quiet was while we were eating.

After lunch we dropped the boys off and went to the Bayard Cutting Arboretum for the snobby portion of our day.

There's a GIANT mansion house and the property is HUGE. It sits on a river and the land and wildlife are all preserved and protected. There are footpaths so we could walk through the woods and along the water. It was gorgeous. We met a mean looking goose and some nice looking ducks. We also saw the largest, most interesting tree I have ever seen, with branches so big and billowing that a walkway had been built underneath them around the trunk of the tree.

Yes, I took pictures. They'll make it to Facebook soon.

We beat the rain back to their house and spent the afternoon hanging out.

Humphrey told me stories about his time in Afghanistan and I showed them my photos and website. My nephew is an aspiring photographer so I got to see some of his work and mess with his camera a little bit.

I can't tell you how nice it was to just hang out with family. And I also can't tell you how thankful I am for a family that doesn't miss a beat.

Now that my siblings and I are all adults and we've all gone our owns ways to pursue whatever it is we're pursuing, I am never happier than when I get to visit with one of them. We have no trouble at all falling back into our gabbing patterns.

With each of my moves over the years I have gone away from one part of my family and closer to another. I guess I'm kind of the family nomad, but it's given me a chance to live with several of my siblings in several different places. I have become close to each sibling one at a time.

I'm so deep.

The afternoon slipped away and late in the evening Humphrey and Noelia drove me back to the house.

The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Both boys were in bed and R was drowsy, on her way to bed. She had the nerve to ask me if I brought her a present and then when I said no, she asked six or seven more times until T told her she was being rude.

T was busy sealing cracks in the kitchen cabinets with a hot glue gun. She's growing on me. We scoped out every hole those blasted ants have come through and she filled them all in.

Hopefully, tomorrow the ants will be dead, and the relaxation that today brought me will carry me through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment