Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wait, are my eyes open?

In spite of staying up way too late reading and discussing the most terrifying book known to man, my dreams carried me to a far away place where I could hardly hear the chaos going on two floors above me.

Depending on which room they are in, I either can't hear anything or can hear everything echoing down through the ventilation system. I've learned, thanks to my selective hearing, to tune out the regular morning noises: Monkey waking up two hours before anyone else and yelling until someone gets him, J or R or both getting up an hour after the baby and antagonizing him or each other, E finally being disturbed enough to yell something unintelligible which all three kids then ignore.

But what happened up there today wasn't normal.

Monkey decided he was going to wake up *extra* early today. He yelled and screamed until in her delirium, T thought it might be best to let him out of his crib. She put him in her room and closed the door, thinking this would keep him contained.

Not so, my friends, not so.

Little J got up and got into bed with Mommy and Daddy. Monkey promptly crawled on top of him and called his name until he was ready to play. They escaped the bedroom and went to rouse their sister. By six am all three kids had exhausted their energy stores.

Breakfast was an absolute nightmare.

Since I am no better than the kids and also got little sleep, I was no match for them. Daddy seemed incredibly cranky and T didn't even make it down to breakfast. Still, the kids won no battles. But I'm not sure the adults did either. It was like a endless stalemate and then finally it was time for school.

In order to keep myself from falling asleep I mopped everything around my family while they were still here this morning.

Now we're cleaned up for the day, I'm all caught up on laundry since yesterday, and since I am working tomorrow I feel like I've gained an extra day this week and that has left me with exactly zero motivation for the rest of today.

My intentions are to hang out with this whining, crying, runny-nosed baby who thinks I control the TV and am intentionally not letting him watch a show that is not on right now, until a time late enough to justify putting him to bed.

At that point, I shall crash; crash hard.

I can't wait.

It should be another fifteen to twenty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment