Friday, January 13, 2012

That's it? Today is over?

My morning was spent in a near-death state of lady pain.

Monkey agreeably played with his toys on the floor while I cried and moaned on the playroom bed. The TV wouldn't even work. Around lunch time I made a giant pot of coffee and drank it. All of it.

Then I swallowed every pain killer I could locate (two -- for now) and got R from the bus.

That's right. I didn't do anything in between those two things except try to nap but I couldn't because (prepare for run-on sentence) first I was lying in the playroom and it was too cold in there so I went into the living room to the comfy leather couch and the dog was there on a pillow he is not allowed to be on but I just curled up next to him thinking this would be all cute and snuggly and then AND THEN he started licking himself and for thirty minutes all I heard was him licking and no matter how many times I told him to stop he didn't and it was SO GROSS and I just don't get dog people.

I don't. I never will.

Anyway, tonight was Shabbat. The kids were surprisingly well-behaved so I spent the night bouncing between my book (I'm almost done with the first one Brianne) and the stack of National Geographics in the corner of T's mom's den.

I love National Geographic.

I love the pictures and the articles about things all over the world and all through history and even now.

But I also hate them because, like public schools and the Museum of Natural History, they pretend the evolution theory is a fact, when in fact, it is a theory. And I find this maddening.

All religion aside, science is about proof, right? The evolution theories, all of them, all several hundred of them with their thousands of variations, are so full of holes that it is just plain wrong to publish them as fact.

And this has become a deep-rooted source of anger for me.

So I have never purchased an NG or even thought about subscribing. But I will read them for free when I get a chance and at Grandma's house there are several chances.

The point:

I found an article about a park OVER Manhattan called the High Line. It was a railroad, built high over the city and in the 60s part of it was torn down. The rest was saved and turned into a concrete park. Gardens, scenic overlooks over the Lower West side of the city. There's even some vendors up there now and they are going to expand the park in the next few years.

And I never knew about this.

But I am SO excited.

When I began job hunting in this neck of the woods, part of my reasoning was that I am familiar with the general New York area and I knew I would enjoy being able to go into the city and wander, which I have done a lot of. I have revisited several tourist attractions that I had seen in my childhood and I have gone to a few new places as well. I know it will take me a quite a while to cover everything I want to cover, but this one gets bumped up to the top of the list for sure.

IT'S JUST SO COOL.

It's like another layer of city right on top of the city.

SO COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment