Sunday, January 29, 2012

Buses and trains and cabs; oh my!

Well, I’m typing on the bus, something not as easy as it looks when you watch the guy across the aisle doing it.

I’m extremely happy right now for several reasons.

The main one being that even though T couldn’t work it out so I could go to church and to lunch afterward, she did surprise me halfway through the day by telling me that I wasn’t needed tonight and so if I wanted to go the Poconos tonight instead of tomorrow she would help me do so.

I rewarded her by bathing and feeding the kids while she was at dinner and then E drove me to the train.

The second reason I am so happy is that I made it to the bus, without rushing, without talking to any crazy people and without having to buy a train ticket. I had forgotten that I have two Long Island Railroad tickets leftover from New Year’s Eve when the conductors didn’t have the faintest hope of getting through the train to punch tickets. Thanks to Taryn not actually living in Great Neck and giving me her unused ticket, I will be traveling home free as well.

The third reason I am happy is that I just had the pleasure of chatting with a stranger while waiting for the bus. She was probably my mom’s age, an age I have a very easy time befriending. I don’t know if it’s because I hung out with my mom so much as a kid or if it is because I myself am a much older person trapped in a timeless 23 year old body (I AM 23) but it is highly enjoyable. This woman was from Atlanta originally and she’s been living in East Burg for a year, very close to where my sister and mom live now and where I am headed tonight. We talked about kids, school and traveling for forty minutes until it was time to board, at which time I thanked her for the conversation and she said, “Thanks to you too! Have a wonderful life!” She reminded me of my sister’s mother-in-law; funny and nice and bubbly in a subtle way.

My fourth reason for being happy? I’m wearing another size smaller jeans!!! Granted they are sucking the life out of me but hey, I can get into them! Two months ago I couldn’t. I would just bounce around my room trying for ten minutes and then cry while I ate celery.

Just kidding.

About the crying, not the bouncing. That happened.

I’ve actually been really bad lately. I’ve fallen off the restricted-diet wagon and I have had heartburn several times in the past week. I had a dairy relapse and I’ve been eating sour cream on EVERYTHING. This is not good.

In spite of that, I went to buy clothes in the next size down and Kmart in Penn Station obligingly had 50% off sales storewide so I was able to get a bunch of shirts that will unravel in 6 to 8 weeks, but only cost $3. So, I win.

So tonight I am happily riding the bus into Pennsylvania and hoping to have some quality time with Mom, my sister Brianne and my favorite friend to have dinner with.

Earlier this evening I told the kids I was headed out tonight and that I would be back late tomorrow and would see them Tuesday morning. R wanted to know who she is supposed to play with all day tomorrow and I had to remind her that she has school and Hebrew school to keep her occupied. She was ok with it after that, but she groaned anyway and as she walked away she said, “Always going away…to Africa.”

I had to explain that I was only going to Pennsylvania and then we had to rehash everything on the globe again.

J didn’t seem to care much, but as I was leaving tonight Monkey came into the kitchen and said, “Timmy, I jacket.” I guess he is so used to being stuck home with me and only going out when I do that he was confused as to why I was leaving him behind. I saw him waving from the dining room window as we pulled out of the garage. It was so sad.

But not sad enough to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment