Monday, February 13, 2012

Um...hello? I'M AVAILABLE.

Snobby Nanny fails to see how it can be she has no fancy New York date for Valentine's Day.

I have been relentlessly hitting on random men since I moved here.

Just kidding.

I have done some flirting, but none of it with Christians and so none of them are actual potentials. But it is fun. Lately on the train and in Penn Station the quality of people surrounding me has been altogether questionable so I have laid off a bit, but there is a photographer for Olan Mills in the Penn Station Kmart who I have stopped to chat with a few times. We've exchanged complaints about generic studio photography and had a few laughs but that's all. I'm usually so anxious to get through the conversation and get to the sales that I hurry through the pleasantries and run away.

But I have my little Monkey and his brother; my only valentines this year, albeit naughty ones.

All three kids were terrors this afternoon. R was giggling SO hard when she got off the bus and when I asked her why she told me it was because she and a friend were misbehaving on the bus and it was so funny. She went off to Hebrew school an hour later and then J came home and started fight after fight with the small one.

I attempted two phone calls while the boys were here and it went pretty well. I could hear my conversation for almost the entire duration of the calls but then right at the end there everything fell apart.

I got off the phone and joined them in the playroom and promptly got distracted by my phone. I was browsing Pinterest when Monkey started going, "Shhhhh, J sleeping. Timmy. Timmy! TIMMY! TIMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Shhhhhhh, J sleeping."

I leaped into action in a panic. It was nearly five o'clock and J was indeed asleep in a chair in the playroom. I shook him awake and told him he could come help me put the finishing touches on the dinner Grandma had left us. He stood up and collapsed onto the floor. I woke him again and he cried the whole way to the kitchen but then I gave him a chocolate chip to revive him and he set to work with me.

Dinner was a massive nightmare.

R got home right in the middle of it and joined us and immediately started acting up. The other two were already riotous so I just checked out and went to my happy place while stuffing bites of rice into the baby's mouth.

By the end of the meal they had all lost their dessert for various reasons and I was spent.

I decided to just check out the rest of the way. I pretended to be a monster and chased them upstairs and then they went to do...something, I don't even know, and I made up J's new twin bed. Then I locked the baby in the playroom and locked myself in the bathroom where I could text and play online uninterrupted. I didn't come out until E came home.

He helped get them all ready for bed and then I took MONSTER BABY and put him to bed. And then I ran. I ran, people.

Everyone in this house is on the verge of another cold but we are fighting this one hardcore. We're all on triple doses of vitamin C and we eat fruit four times a day. No one so much as breathes near anyone else and we've all become borderline germaphobes. In addition to already feeling a smidge under the weather, all the adults stayed up late last night to watch the worst Grammy's show in the world.

I don't know why I did it; I don't give a hoot about awards shows, but I heard Taylor Swift and Adele were performing and that was lure enough for me. This time E was recording so we could skip through commercials and the boring parts, like the actual awards, and just watch and rewatch Katy Perry's confusing yet entertaining little show.

I actually headed to bed before it was over but the damage had been done and thus, today resulted.

And on a Monday, too.

Tomorrow I am working but you can bet that on Wednesday I am going trolling for a Valentine or at the very least a giant box of low-fat, sugar-free, vegan chocolates.

And they better be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment