Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Torah Science Fair!

For days J has been telling me he wants me to come to his school for this fair. I have been telling him we would see and I forgot all about it. This afternoon when T and I were brainstorming for dinner it dawned on us that it was tonight and the kids would need to eat super early.

I threw together a pizza with a secret layer of pureed spinach and flax seed and everyone ate before the fair.

Only don't try to shorten it to fair or science fair because J doesn't like that.

It's the Torah Science Fair.

We got into the school around 6 (the fair started at 5:30) and it was already packed. I saw several of the neighborhood friends we have had play dates with. The whole basement was a walk-through display of everything the kids have been working on.

It was so. Cool.

I wasn't sure what a Torah Science Fair was, so for those of you like me, let me just tell you.

All the stories from the Torah had been brought to life and covered in glitter. It was beautiful. And the curriculum had woven science into everything in the most creative way I have ever seen. I really hope Christian preschools are doing stuff this awesome.

J's class has been studying Exodus, specifically the exodus.

See what I did there?

They built a BIG glitter-covered tunnel adults could walk through. There were life-size child stand-ups with pictures of each kid glued on and they were dressed in robes. The tunnel represented the sea that God parted for Moses. The walls of it were lined with sea creatures that the children had learned about, made and covered in glitter.

Other classes studies Noah's ark and I don't know how many different kinds of animals. Rebekah and the well, I can't even remember what else. They had built huge exhibits for each story and there was a detailed science aspect to each one. The kids knew their stuff and there were volcanoes and bees and birds and fur, you name it.

It was seriously amazing.

And this is a preschool.

Monkey spent the hour we were there running away from me, slapping displays and then laughing when I caught him. J showed us his stuff and then took off with his friends. R visited her old teacher, got some presents and ran off with her friends.

The temperature in the room was a steady four million degrees so after forty minutes we were all sweaty and the baby was acting tired.

I took him on one more round around the room and we got one more really good look at J's class display. The glitter. So much glitter.

And I don't know how I missed this, but behind the split sea was Pharaoh and his horses and chariots. He definitely looked mad, but he wasn't an Egyptian king I would recognize.

He was the king of Siam.



On the way out I remarked to T how nice it was to go to a science fair that wasn't about the incoherence and loose ends of evolution. She laughed and quoted J,

"It's the Torah Science Fair!"

No comments:

Post a Comment