Thursday, February 16, 2012

Simple Snobby Wednesday.

As I write I am polishing off a sleeve of Thin Mints. In the presence of the hateful green box my self-discipline has completely vanished and even the small voice of reason in the back of my head is screaming, "That's it? That's the whole sleeve?!"

I almost didn't post tonight, but I am being threatened via text message from the church organist (shout out!) who is a friend of my mom's and therefore, in the perfect position to tell me to do stuff.

I being told I haven't written all week, so let me fill you in.

I can't remember the beginning of the week, which is a bad sign.

Complacency is awful for my memory, and that is what I am right now; complacent, mildly bored, coasting. I am so eager for the new baby to come and shake things up a bit. In another few weeks I will have my New York state driver's license (but don't worry, I won't drive like they do) and then a few weeks after that my baby will come.

With the new addition to the family I will be transferring to "driver" while T shifts into "stay at home mom" for a bit.

Until then, my days will continue to run together and I will lose track of them and wonder where the time has gone.

Except for Snobby Wednesdays. They rock.

Yesterday I slept through whatever was going on upstairs all morning. I heard the pitter-patter-stomp of the kids going up and down their stairs. R has taken over the responsibility of letting the dog out and feeding and watering him in the mornings, so I sleep an extra fifteen minutes on my work days.

I heard the alarm beep that announces a door opening, which meant she was letting him out and I checked the clock out of habit. The morning was progressing right on time.

Then I went back to sleep and when I heard them above me again it was so late I was sure R would miss her school bus. But it wasn't my problem so I dozed off again and when I got up for real only T and Monkey were home, and I guess everyone else made it off ok.

No one remembered to put the trash out, although I think that is the first time that has happened since I've been here so that is pretty remarkable!

I chatted with T for a bit and told her I had no snobby plans because of New Jersey Transit. It's all their fault and I am mad at them for not arranging their train schedules according to my life.

I was thinking about going into the city to do some sight seeing and so I got ready to go out. It was drizzling ever so slightly when I left so I packed an umbrella and forgot about five other things that I wanted to bring along.

It was nice enough (the rain stopped completely) to walk into town so I did and I ran a few errands. At the end of my running I caught my reflection in a store window and nearly shrieked at the sight of my un-moussed, un-brushed, un-styled hair. I don't normally leave the house like that on Snobby days (other days are a free for all) but since it had been rainy I hadn't even attempted to tame my fro.

Seeing myself in that window I was appalled. How could I troll for rich men in the city looking like that? Simple; I couldn't.

I went around the corner to a salon I had stopped into a few weeks ago to get pricing. The owner, the man I had spoken with before, was behind the desk.

"I came in a few weeks ago, I was going to call for an appointment." I told him. "But I didn't make an appointment, and well I didn't do my hair today so I need one now."

"Now, now?"

"Now. Now!" Just kidding. I didn't yell at him. Out loud.

He looked like a middle-Eastern colored John Stamos, right up to his perfect wavy hair. I was about to ask him if he had ever played an understanding uncle in a sitcom or an awful cameo in a yogurt commercial, but then he took my coat, hung it up and put champagne in my hands.

My hair-panic vanished and I went where I was led.

Three hours, several mimosas, one Whitney Houston sing-a-long and I can't tell you how much money later, I was so happy with my hair I couldn't stop petting myself. The color and cut are great but what amazed me most in the moment was that it was super straight. And not just straight, but smooth. Shiny smooth. That was the first time my hair ever looked straight and felt like it was supposed to be straight.

He had used oodles of product; I had seen it, but my hair looked natural. I was in shock.

Since that was the snobbiest thing I had ever done or lived or experienced I had to find a layman's lunch, and quick. I hurried across the street to Chipotle and tore into a burrito. Once covered in guacamole I felt more like myself. I washed my hands and went back to petting my super smooth hair.

I was in love.

I put away my Narcissism long enough to catch a bus and get to the area my church is in. I met up with the bestest Taryn and we shopped and went for tea and then to the young adults group at church. Being around normal people grounded me somewhat and provided the reminder I needed that I am not the center of the universe, or even Great Neck.

Did you guys know that?

When I got back to Great Neck there was a new used couch in my playroom and I set up shop in time for my ten o'clock show.

I had a few minutes to reflect on my night and that complacency that irks me. Fellowship with Taryn and the whole Wednesday night group there takes away that urge to move on to the next step right now. At this point those hours are the most definitive in my memory.

I love going home for visits and seeing my family and the kids but the travel time makes those days such a blur that they get mixed right in with work when I categorize them in my head.

But staying relatively local, getting home at a decent hour and unwinding in the company of good thoughts stemming from meaningful discussion makes all this complacency worthwhile until the next big change comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment