Saturday, October 20, 2012

I'm watching Psych right now.

So, please, don't hold me responsible for any incoherent passages in this post.

It has been a long few days.

This week, our small kitchen modifications escalated into a complete kitchen makeover.

The horrible fridge being horrible is what sparked the whole thing. This fridge was purchased because it was all that fit in the nook. Now that it has been exposed as horrible, and GE has agreed to buy it back, E and T are ordering a new one. I may have told you this.

And I know I told you about our flaming dishwasher.

So, the new dishwasher is an inch taller than the current space, which will require cutting into the counter top or ripping out the 30+ year old tile beneath. So, while we were hemming and hawing about what to do about that, the construction team went ahead and ripped out the wall they were told to and it was discovered that there was no tile under the cabinet that had been against that one.

There was tile underneath the smaller cabinet they removed, but somewhere in that process they put a HUGE gouge in the counter top.

Then, E and T realized that our forty million year old stove will eventually need replacing, and the trend with these old appliances is that they are smaller than everything being made right now, which is weird, because all those commercials call them slim and sleek and compact and yet they LIIIIIIEEEEE.

Anyway, the good news is, our three to five day project turned two week project is now probably going to be a three week to one month project.

We're getting a new floor, because the team went ahead and destroyed this one. The fridge is being picked up next week, but the new one isn't coming until the construction is done, so we are going refrigerator-less for a while. A new stove is being picked out, new floors will come and yes, next week, my new dishwasher.

None of this really bothers me, except during working hours when the construction makes a lot of dust and we have to flee. But even that is kind of fun. There's nothing to clean, because it's all going to get covered in dust again in ten minutes anyway.

There's a lot of chaos and not a lot of food, but that's all well and good.

The roughest part of my week has been getting a handle on my horrible emotions. I usually keep them turned off, but sometimes things happen that make them malfunction and there's nothing I can do about it. I stayed home from Shabbat dinner last night to collect myself.

Today was better, and then after E talked us into not going out to dinner, the three adults ended up in the ripped up kitchen, eating all the food left in the fridge and drinking all the wine, whether it was in the fridge or not, and it was immensely therapeutic to toast them and laugh with them and just relax tonight.

Tomorrow, I get to go to church for the best kind of therapy. I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment