Friday, October 5, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Judge me all you want, but I bought a new copy of All Dogs Go To Heaven at Target for $5 and I'm watching it right now. It came with its sequel but who cares about sub par sequels?

My old copy was the VHS tape we grew up with and it kicked it a few months ago when I unpacked it and tried to rewind it and the tape inside literally snapped in half. So, that was that.

I came home early from Shabbat dinner with three tired kids who were out late last night too. J was somehow miraculously hanging in there, so he stayed out with his parents. Last night he fell asleep at our outing but tonight he seemed to be holding up just fine when I left. Each child shines in a different place.

R prefers her grandmother's on her mom's side because she can play with better toys and run from room to room. J prefers E's mom because he has older cousins who dote on him and let him play on their iPhones. Monkey will take what he can get because he just wants to be allowed to go.

So the three with me are down and I am indulging in a children's movie that they haven't watched yet. Oh, I am also indulging in wine.

Yesterday was one of the worst days I have had here so far. This wine is my reward.

Baby D has been ruined. While I was away last week, he was picked up every time he started to cry. Now, I can barely put him down before he starts to cry. I spent yesterday trying to break him, but I also had all three of the others all afternoon and add them fighting and crying to his crying and the 784% humidity, I was horribly grouchy.

I told T I was thinking of selling the kids, to which she replied, "You can get a lot for them. They're cute." But didn't try to stop me. She was stuck at work all day.

I kept them only because my phone was dying and I needed my battery for the dinner party.

At T's Mom's house I got another dose of New Nanny, who I must say, I am not fond of. Should she friend me on Facebook, I will delete this paragraph and deny I ever said it, but she rubs me the wrong way.

Still, we made it through the night, passing the seven kids between us. I ate half a giant bowl of guacamole before starting on the challah. I noticed New Nanny spent a lot of time pushing this horrible beet salad around on her plate. At one point I asked her if she liked that salad and she said no and I told her no one did and she shouldn't feel bad sneaking it off to the trash and getting some of the other, wonderful food.

T's mom has been pushing this one particular salad on us a lot lately. She really wants us to like it. It's Persian and most of the Persian food is delicious but nobody, not even the other Persians, likes this dish and she won't stop making huge bowls of it at every party.

The kids got to bed so late last night that I fully expected today to be awful, but it wasn't.

They were all kinds of agreeable at breakfast time. I napped all morning and then T went to work and I had school pick ups all afternoon. Everyone came home happy and hungry and then we went to the playground. It had been so beautiful outside and it seems that everywhere else in the Northeast is now mosquito-free except Long Island.

So, in spite of myself, I was reminded why I hate this place, but the baby was doing so much better being out of my arms so I worked through it. We were at the playground for a while when J came running over to me, holding his little butt in his hands.

"Kimmy, I really have to go poo poo."

"Oh, yeah." R chimed in. "Me too."

The walk home is less than five minutes, but they both pooped their pants a little.

Fortunately, they're big enough to clean themselves up for the most part, so even THAT didn't ruin my day.

We had a snack and sang some songs before E got home and then T and the whole night began.

We were dressing for Shabbat, passing each other on the stairs and in the halls when T announced that construction would start on Monday in the kitchen.

"What is happening in my kitchen?" I was both scared and excited. I love change. I'm not one of those people who gets all settled in and never wants to lose control of anything. I'd like to lose control of EVERYTHING. Please, bring on the change.

We're losing the dividing wall between the kitchen and the mudroom to make the eat-in part of the kitchen actually usable. Right now the table and the highchair take up the entire corner and no one can get in there. We're also gaining a door to the back yard, a pantry and a new nook for...GUESS WHAT?

A NEW REFRIGERATOR.

GE can take their fridge and shove it.

After more than ten service calls for this brand new piece of garbage that keeps breaking down and either getting too hot in the freezer or too cold in the fridge, GE is finally refunding E and T and they are getting a new fridge.

I'm very excited.

Less exciting are the suitcase and book bag that are still sitting in the middle of my room waiting to be unpacked. I washed all my dirty clothes from that trip and they made it into drawers somehow, unfolded. But whatever was left clean and all of my toiletries are still in my suitcase along with who-knows-what else because it's been a week since I even looked in there.

Today, I needed something out of the toiletry bag so I took it out and thought, "Ok, now I will unpack at least this." Then, I got what I needed and scoffed at my suitcase for thinking I even cared about it at all and dropped the bag back in and ran away from there.

I wore a wrinkled dress from that bag to Shabbat dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment