Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ooooo a new girl.

Tomorrow, vacation is over and these little miscreants go back to school.

Last night, however, was our Rosh Hashanah party at T's mom's house and I FINALLY got to meet Nanny S, the replacement over at T's sister's house.

Everyone else met her on Labor Day while I was busy in Pennsylvania but T's assessment of her was a little mixed. On the plus side, Nanny S has whipped Little Brat Twin into shape and the two girls have taken to her as well.

On the down side, she's pretty abrasive and forward and she's kind of rough with the kids, and not just her unruly little charges, but mine, too.

Last night I witnessed her accidentally bumping heads together during a game of Duck, Duck, Goose, whacking R in the head with a bag as she turned where she stood and manhandling the kids in various other momenths.

Still, none of that was intentional and maybe it's just that she seriously lacks grace and agility and nothing more serious. But we all (and by that I mean T and myself) like to be a little dramatic and crazy and so we are going to remain suspicious until Nanny S proves herself.

After a few minutes with the new girl, I slipped into the kitchen to get the kids their dinner and T caught up with me.

"So, what do you think?"

"Well, I'm prettier than her so we're safe. Otherwise, we would have had to stop somewhere for you to buy me presents on the way home."

We were laughing pretty loudly when E came in to ask us why were cackling. He addedd,

"And why are you laughing like that? Kimmy is the only person you laugh with. You don't even laugh with me anymore."

"You don't love her like I do." I said through a mouthful of mysteriously delicious red stew with mushrooms in it. We laughed some more.

"You're hooking up with our nanny?!" E asked, and then we were so obnoxiously loud and *someone* snorted.

"There's going to be a Lifetime movie about us..." I left them to work on their marriage.

For the first time ever, my kids ate but the cousins didn't. Nanny S had a hard time getting even a few bites in them and then their idiot mother came into the room and said they had enough and they could have cookies.

In the next few hours I found out that already Nanny S has the same list of complaints that drove Nanny K out of here.

Crazy and her husband expect their nanny to do the work of four people with a smile on her face. Oh, and she moved here from Arizona so they didn't meet her until she came and she's not allowed to wear skirts because the cross tattoo on her leg will show. The cross tattoo on her arm is always showing, but the one on her leg is offensive.

I don't see this lasting, but I'm trying to be helpful anyway.

When Nanny S asked me point blank, "Do YOU have to cook EVERY day?" I kind of shrugged and didn't mention how sometimes we forget all about dinner and just feed the kids leftovers all weekend. T's sister is crazy if she thinks she's going to find someone who will do all her cooking, all her cleaning, keep up with her OCD, put up with her husband, her naughty children, never get her days off (already happening to Nanny S) AND be happy about it.

Nanny S might stay, but she's certainly not shy about complaining.

That house is a nightmare.

And what makes my heart beat in fear is the knowledge that IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME.

I can't express enough thanks to God for placing me with the good sister.

Sometimes, I can't help thinking that I could handle the wacko and straighten out that house, but I like to think I can do anything. I probably couldn't. They would probably fire me for trying. The husband over there is not very friendly.

Anyway, I'm here and that's amazing.

And Nanny S is there, so that's fun to talk about. You'll hear more about it.

Tonight, the weather here is wild and crazy, in keeping with its theme for the day. It has been WINDY here all day and T's mom is having the worst anxiety about it. E and T are in the city and I am on night shift today.

We kicked off the morning at a bright and early 11 0'clock and all I did this afternoon was make chocolate chip pancakes and thank our cleaning lady for being the most wonderful person on earth. T's mom came over around dinner time to help out after they left and to express her concern for their well being in the wind.

Then the rain started and she's been calling in half hour intervals ever since.

They called a little while ago to say they are monitoring some water damage and subsequent flooding in a building they own in the city and to ask if I would sleep upstairs in order to hear the kids.

So, I am off to the couch, which means I'll be watching TV until four in the morning and tomorrow is going to be my first early day in a few. Should be fun!

Cue the automatic coffee maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment