Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Are you ready? Cuz here we go.

I've downloaded the Fresh Beat Band to my iPod and I must admit to listening to it more than the kids. I don't know what's wrong with me.

In addition to children's music, Christmas music has taken over a good portion of my life. Granted it was only Christmas two days ago, but you would think that three months of the Bare Naked Ladies singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen would be enough but it's so not.

I went away for four days over Christmas, leaving early Friday morning and returning late Monday night. I did ALL the kids' laundry before I left and was greeted with three full loads of their crap when I arrived home.

And yes, it feels like home.

Everywhere feels like home.

You know that phrase, "make yourself at home"? You don't even need to say that to me. I will. And I have. If you've ever invited me in to use your bathroom I now feel like I own your house.

Anyway, cut back to me doing three loads of laundry. R used 9 pairs of panties in 4 days. I don't know what goes through her head, but she changes outfits like five times a day and that includes underwear. She wasn't much more conservative with socks either.

And the family must have attended parties every night because every nice sweater and pair of jeans in this house was dirty. There was a pile of coats and fleece in the kitchen and J had peed on the daybed in the playroom, thoroughly soaking several stuffed animals and a pillow.

Christmas vacation over.

It was probably good that I had something to keep me busy all day because I overslept this morning after my violent crash from my four day sugar high. When I went to bed last night I was WIRED and I felt a lot like Hammy in Over the Hedge.

I had managed to nod off on the bus ride home but then running from there to the train and people watching on the late night LIRR woke me up again. I had so much energy I unpacked my bags. I've never unpacked the night I got home from anything. Ever.

Not even Africa. I usually just crash and then I unpack as I need things.

It was so weird.

And before I forced myself to stop moving and close my eyes and pretend to be asleep until actually falling asleep (my new insomnia-fighting tactic) I sat down and charged all my electronics and then AND THEN I wrote New Year's resolutions.

I have never done that before. I've never even thought of any before.

I've always thought the whole tradition seemed silly. And I still do. But I'm going to participate anyway because I am nothing if not a hypocrite.

So here's what I got:

1) Stop being such a hypocrite.

2) Do my devotions once a day (not once a week in seven rushed entries).

3) Blog every day.

and my personal favorite,

4) Talk the kids into talking their parents into getting them (me) a kitten.

I've always thought this was off the table because the kids are always telling me "Daddy's allergic" but T just informed me that he's allergic to dogs too and Willie Nelson is still here...so...

I think it's only fair that if I am willing to put up with his dog breath and BO and clean the stupid frog tank once every...well...twice, I've cleaned it twice, then I deserve the pet I actually want.

I would ask directly, but I have a feeling the pleas of little children are more effective than the demands of the nanny.

Although, nanny demanded a few other things that nanny got. Nanny has had no trouble having demands met. Maybe I should...but this way just seems to much funnier.

Now, monsoon rains and wind are threatening to knock out the power so I have to go soak up as much cable as possible before the blackout.

No comments:

Post a Comment