Monday, August 15, 2011

Black beans.

Today I did some little things that didn't quite get finished in the makeover. One was vacuuming spiders out of the pantry. While doing so I noticed that Someone had placed my two cans of black beans inside a cereal box. Twas strange.

Being around lay people is surprisingly refreshing. T and the gang aren't quite as uptight and snooty as the rest of their neighborhood, but still, something about kids running around half-dressed and barefoot just feels like home.

Here's the evidence of the makeover.

Before:


After:


Before:


After:


And just for kicks...

During:


During:


Last night one of the kids asked me if we could do it again.

"Do what again?" I asked him.

"That thing where we go away and you clean the house."

Mom, you did a wonderful thing here. It's actually kind of sad that you're not here to see how much they are enjoying it. Today the oldest girl actually cleaned out her dresser drawers in keeping with the new theme of organization that thrives in the house.

I keep contrasting these kids and my LonGisland kiddies in my head. It's so strange to come from that world into this one. Oddly enough, I can speak more frankly to these kids because in the NY society I'm living in, the kids run the show and heaven forbid we speak too harshly to an innocent child!

I love being able to tell a kid they can't play in the pool five minute before dinner because that would be silly, instead of rescheduling dinner and consequently the rest of the night because T feels that the kids know when they need more play time and when they have had enough.

Yes, this has happened.

In any case, I do miss my little nuisances.

I hope I can find the dinosaur stickers they are looking forward to!

At dinner here tonight I made the kids pasta, which seems to be all they eat. I made myself a black bean burrito and let one of the kids taste it. She had adamantly informed me that she didn't like black beans before dinner. But then she loved my burrito and kept sneaking bites of beans. The nerve.

My biggest accomplishment today?

Five out of six kids tasted their green beans. Four of the five who tasted them, loved them. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment